Monday, August 4, 2008

Using References and the Making of "Assassins"

As I mentioned in the very first post of Digi's Stylings, I use references in most of my work. I've heard the pros and cons of using refs, but I still come down on the side of using them. To me, the idea is not to try to paint a copy of the reference material, but to use elements to enhance my work. Unless I'm painting a portrait of the subject of the reference, my finished work should have quite a bit of distance between it and the original.

In my opinion, we all use reference. Whether it is from a photo, screen grab or observing the world around us, I consider it all "reference." Some references have been internalized and I can rely more on the information in my head. Other things, I need to look at to get them "right."

As for the making of "Assassins:"

This is one of those "accidental" paintings that seem to happen from time to time. I was searching through DeviantArt's Stock Image Library when I came across a pose that I liked. This pose had nothing to do with the original subject of my search, but I decided that I wanted to sketch it. This pose eventually turned into the Marvel character,Elektra.


I decided that she needed an adversary. A quick back story of two assassins tracking each through an abandoned building gave me the theme that I needed begin composing the painting. I decided to use additional refs for the two added elements. The other assassin's pose came from the next ref.


I looked through some industrial photos to create the environment. I used elements of the third ref and some custom brushes to create the atmosphere. Now that the basic elements have been laid in and I can start thinking about color. I'll make the coloring process another blogsclusive.

Here are links to the stock images that I used.
Note: I'll notify each stocker that I used their work once I post the finished piece to DA.

No comments: