Wednesday, August 13, 2008

About Model Sheets

No, not that type of model sheet. I mean the more traditional definition of model sheet:

Model sheets are drawings of posed cartoon or comic strip characters that are created to provide a reference template for several artists who collaborate in the production of a lengthy or multiple-edition work of art such as a comic book, animated film or television series. Model sheets usually depict the character’s head and body as they appear at various angles (a process known as “model rotation“), includes sketches of the character’s hands and feet, and shows several basic facial expressions.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I use model sheets a lot. Not necessarily to portray a specific character, but to get an idea of how the pros go about constructing their character designs. Of particular interest to me are the "rough" sheets. These are the various iterations that the character goes through before the design is finalized. Sometimes the constructions lines are still visible. Those types are like gold to me.

I tend to use cartoon elements in many of my works. Studying model sheets help me to better understand how to incorporate the elements into my style of working.

Here's an example of a model sheet:A few links to get you started:

The ASIFA-Hollywood Animation Archive

The Disney Animation Archive

Cartoons, Model Sheets and Stuff

You can also find some model sheets in print. One of the best places to find them is in the children's books section under art books. They're listed as "How to draw" a particular character. Model sheets are usually included.

My painting was inspired by this stock photo from lockstock at DeviantArt.com.

No comments: