Friday, June 13, 2008

Portraits

Of all of the things that I draw or paint, I think portraiture is my favorite. I enjoy the nuances of the face. I tend to gravitate mostly towards females, but I'll use a guy as subject every now and then. I'm not wedded to any particular style or genre. I'll do realistic, fantasy, cartoon and the occasional manga inspired portraits. There are several artists who I feel have influenced or inspired my work, but I think I'll save the "who and why" for future posts.

The first painting, "Karyn," is an older piece, done in 2002, and one of my favorites. I remember refering to a tutorial by Roberto Campus as I was painting it.

The next painting, "Marilyn," was painted in 2007. I was trying as much to capture the "essence" as I was the likeness.

The Wolverine piece is basically a study in light and shadow. It was done in early '08. The grayscale piece, also from early 2008, was a study to see how much information I could convey by using less detail.

No comments: