Saturday, June 14, 2008

Calibration

Sometimes you discover that you're not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Today was one of those times for me.

My primary monitor died on a me a while ago. I've been using a smaller, spare monitor since then. Shortly after switching monitors, I began to notice that the colors in my digital paintings that I was seeing on the new monitor was not translating well when viewed on other monitors. It was especially noticeable with the darks. I chalked that up to the spare monitor not being as good as my old monitor and tried to work around it by using different color palettes.

It struck me today, I had been so bummed after losing my good monitor, that I had forgotten to calibrate the spare! A few minutes of testing and a custom scheme later, the problem was solved.

More often than not, I've found its the little things that get you!


No comments: