Thursday, July 9, 2009

Unfinished Works - Elf Portrait

Sharing another abandoned piece. I can't remember why I stopped working on this one. I suspect that it was during one of times when I had several paintings going at the same time. I still like the composition. I was trying out repeating an element in the painting. In this case, it was the angle. You'll notice that the leaves, the top of the tunic, canting of the head (and subsequent angling of the feature, direction of the eyes, angle of the hand and slope of the shoulder (our right).

Repeating an element or color kind of "harmonizes" the painting. If done well, the viewer probably wouldn't recognize why the painting is pleasing, just that it is.

After looking over this one again, I may take a crack at finishing it, but no promises! LOL

No comments: