Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Wind Elemental

This is a painting that I set aside and finally found some time to finish today. I'm going to count this as the first painting completed under the "Finishing Project." Its not the one that I thought I'd do first, but its helped me to get started.

Even though the figure is in a static pose, the painting itself is about movement. I tried to represent movement by using the swirling snow, flowing fabric and streaming hair. It is about cold,too, which is why I restricted the palette to blues, whites and cool grays. Finally, it is also about sound. My goal was to make the viewer almost hear the sounds of the wind.

Did I hit the mark? That's for the viewer to decide. I try to raise the bar for myself on one element or another on most of the paintings that I do. The act of defining the goals and the attempt to reach them is my personal measure of success.

Everything else is gravy.

2 comments:

distortiongirl said...

I absolutely LOVE this! I can see, hear, feel, and even taste and smell the wind! What fantastic movement.

digistyle said...

Thanks. Sorry for the late reply. I have to remember to check my comments!