Monday, July 7, 2008

Painting a Fantasy Portrait - Final

Step Eight:

I decided that I liked the original dress design better and went back to it. The work that I've done on most of the layers won't be changing so I merge the painting down to 3 layers and save it as a second version, just in case.

I create a new layer and go to work on the leaves. I work with my fingers near the alt key to sample colors from the painting and the palette. I'm also constantly resizing the brush using the bracket [] keys. I'm switching between a hard edge and soft edge brush as I work.

I add veins to the leaves, not really being too precise while I'm doing it. I'm going for creative realism not photo realism. I decide to add the berries to break up some of the green.

Step Nine:

Now to add sunlight on some the leaves. I create a new layer and set it at 42% opacity. I select a lighter version of the sky color and paint the selected leaves with a low opacity brush. I group and collapse the layers that I've added. I use a blending brush and work the foliage. I soften some edges, work more color into the shadows and do a little shaping.

Step Ten:

I work the hair now. I add colors from the skin into the hair, shaping the mass of hair behind the braids. I highlight the hair with blue from the sky. I work on the shell of the ear, adjusting the shapes and colors. I make a few refinements to the face and begin work on the body. I don't go into the same amount of detail as I did with the face. I don't want it to compete for the viewer's attention.

Now I start on the dress. After its complete, I step back and decide if I need to add accessories.

I decide that accessories are needed. I do a image search on Google and look at several pieces of jewelry. I then make up a pattern for the jewelry and paint it onto the figure. I think that they do a fair job of framing the face and drawing the eye.

Finally, I use a custom watercolor brush to add some texture to the face. This completes the painting.


Hopefully, you found something that you can use in your own work. Feel free to leave a question or comment.

Thanks for sharing the ride!

No comments: