Monday, May 26, 2008

Ballroom Dancing - Rumba


One of my latest interests is social ballroom dancing. It was something that I'd always wanted to try and I finally took the plunge. I've been taking classes for about six months now and its been a lot of fun. I've always enjoyed dancing, but this has been like discovering a whole new world of movement and music.

One of the first dances that I learned was the Rumba. I've found that I like the slower, smooth Rumba songs best. Here are some of my current Rumba favorites:

  • Sway - Michael Buble (Great vocals, performance and arrangement)
  • Little Child - Des'ree (Sad subject/lyrics, Great vocals, performance and arrangement.)
  • Viente Anos - Buena Vista Social Club (Love the beat and how the voices ride the music.)
  • Somos Novios (It's Impossible) - The New 101 Strings Orchestra (Smooth arrangement. Strong voice, passionate delivery.)
  • Cuando Pienso En Ti - Jose Feliciano (Classic Jose. Sung with lots of passion and emotion.)
  • Te Amo Corazon - Prince (Layered arrangement, R&B/Latin fusion. Love the guy's musical innovation.)
  • California Dreamin' - Queen Latifah (This song is pure silk!)
  • Besame Mucho - The Hit Crew (Mid tempo, but retaining the smoothness that I like.)
  • Whatever Lola Wants - Irene and Her Latin Jazz Band (Throw in some Latin guitar and this old standard works well as a rumba.)

No comments: