Monday, January 26, 2009

Pet Peeve Series - The "Mute" Point

This is one of those misuses of a word or phrase that is like nails on a chalkboard to me. This is just me trying to do my part to educate and illuminate. Being a visual artist, I use my art to help express my opinion on the subject.

Mute: Refraining from producing speech or vocal sound.

MOOT: Of no practical importance; irrelevant. A moot point is a point that doesn't matter any longer because circumstances have changed.

Disclaimer: Do I always use the correct words, terms, phrases or context? Nope. Am I a member of "The Word Police?" Nope, again. I'm just doing my bit to help folks avoid embarrassment by offering the correct usage of this particular phrase. No claim of superiority is implied or assumed on my part!

No comments: