Sunday, August 17, 2008

Iron and Latex

I've recently been browsing the blogs of some character designers. I love that type of art, so I was inspired to do a couple of pieces this evening (between running back and forth to watch the Olympic games.). I decided to work with some different brushes and not to do an initial sketch first.

For the first character, I used the Sargent brush (Corel Painter 9.5). Its a brush that I like, but don't use that often. I used a reference for the pose and developed the character as I painted.

I used the Big Wet Luscious brush for the second painting. I'd been wanting to do an Iron Man painting since I saw the movie, but never got around to it. I took this opportunity to get it out of my system.

Using less familiar brushes made the exercise fun. It also helped me to approach the works in different manner than my usual method. I learned quite a bit while working on these two paintings. I think that I'll be looking to use the Sargent and the Luscious brushes more in the future. I also need to make time to try out some of the other brushes.

No comments: