Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Draped Figure - Self Critique

I came across another set of steps from a painting that I did years ago. It was painted in Painter Classic or Painter 5.5, back when the programs were owned by Metacreations. If I remember correctly, I was reading "How to Paint Like the Old Masters" by Joseph Sheppard. This would have been one of my first attempts at using an under-painting before applying color. All of the work was done on a single layer. Painter Classic only allowed work to be done on one layer. Painter 5.5 used "floaters" which I hated and avoided using like the plague! I would've been using a Wacom ArtPad II.

The reference was a small black & white photo of an artists' model that I found on the web somewhere. I believe that she was a model for a famous sculptor (Late nineteenth, early twentieth century?), but I can't remember who. Part of the challenge was to come up with a color palette.

The process:

  1. I created a simple sketch using the pencil tool.
  2. Painted the shapes for the background, which were drapes.
  3. Blocking in the figure and draped chair.
  4. Adding highlights and began to refine the figure.
  5. Added color to the drapes and draped chair.
  6. Finished the figure.








If I was doing this painting today, I don't think that I'd change much about the actual mechanics. I would add a deep red to the shadows of the blue drapes and dark blue to the shadows of the red drape. The figure's skin would have been created with more colors and some reflected light from the red drape. I'd work some of the skin colors into the hair. I'd choose a color for the main light source and lightly glaze parts of the figure and environment to unify the painting.

Hopefully, I'll run across more of these to share.

No comments: